Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 3: My views on drugs and alcohol

I've always thought any kind of illegal drug was bad. I've never been exposed to it personally, but I've heard horrible stories. I think illegal drugs is something that most everyone is against. I include Marijuana in there too, since it alters your state of mind.

Alcohol, on the other hand, is something that a lot of people like. I personally have tried it a few times, and I can't stand the taste of the alcohol, and it doesn't make sense to me, why people would want to drink something gross...

When my husband and I started getting serious, we had a discussion about alcohol. I told him that I had drank a few times, and he asked me if I would stop. I agreed, since he was more important to me than some disgusting drink I didn't even like.

I am going to include medicinal drugs (Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen, etc.). When I was growing up, every month I would get my period, and every month I would stay home from school one or two days, take Ibuprofen, and stay in bed. The Ibuprofen helped, but I had to take it a lot. I never hesitated to take medicine, and now I'm starting to change my mind about them.

When I was in the hospital having my son, I had an epidural (if you want to hear the whole story about how bad it went, it is on the baby blog). I got it at 7cm, and my labor stalled. I wasn't allowed to get up and walk around, get in the jacuzzi, or anything. I literally did not get out of bed for hours. It ruined my birth experience. I got to 9cm, and then nothing. My nurse had me push to see if I could get to 10cm, but I never did, and it's because of the epidural. I pushed for over 3 hours. The doctor finally asked if I wanted to try the vacuum, and it worked, thank God. If it hadn't, it was looking like I would need an emergency c-section. I think God gave me that grace of not "needing" that c section.

All of the "problems" during my labor and delivery were caused by the epidural. Part of me is glad I went through the regrets of getting an epidural. Part of me will never get over it. I now know that I will never rely on just medicine anymore. I understand that sometimes, it is the only thing that can keep someone alive or healthy. But for me, pain medicines will no longer be a part of my monthly ritual nor of my birthing ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment